Island Arks Symposim II Papers and Presentations
State of the Islands Reports
- Keynote Address: Island Conservation in Australia-Overview and Managemeny Challenge–Andrew Burbidge
- Queensland – John Olds1, John Hicks2, Chris Mitchell3 & Malcolm Turner4 1Ecological Assessment Unit, Planning & Program Delivery, 2Marine Directorate, 3Management Effectiveness Evaluation, Planning & Program Delivery; Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, Queensland Department of Environment and Resource Management. 4Malcolm Turner, Field Management Program, Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
- Tasmania – Sally Bryant, Tasmania Land Conservancy
- Western Australia – Keith Morris, Western Australia Department of Environment and Conservation VIEW
- New South Wales – David Priddel, New South Wales Office of Environment and Heritage
- South Australia – Justine Graham, South Australia Department of Environment and Natural Resource
- Victoria – Michael Johnstone & Mike Stevens, Victorian Department of Sustainability and Environment VIEW
- Northern Territory– Alaric Fisher, Northern Territory Department of Natural Resources, Environment, the Arts and Sport VIEW
Opening Invited Presentations
- Global significance on and beyond the edge: Australia’s Island Important Bird Areas, Cheryl Gole & Samantha Vine, BirdLife Australia VIEW
- Building our collective capacity to restore islands. Alan Saunders. Invasive Species International Landcare Research. VIEW (18MB)
- Managing small islands in Indonesia – a success story from Kofiau MPA, West Papua, Indonesia. Joanne Wilson, Sangeeta Mangubhai, Lukas Rumetna, Karel Wamafma, The Nature Conservancy – Indonesia VIEW
- Ecological Restoration of sub-Antarctic Macquarie Island. Keith Springer, Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service VIEW (18MB)
- Island Biosecurity in New Zealand Nature Reserves. Keith Broome New Zealand Department of Conservation VIEW
- Deep Sea Mining in the South Pacific – opportunities and risks for Island communities. Steve Raaymakers Eco-strategic Consultants
Open Session 1 – Biosecurity
- Barrow Island – A model for Conservation and Development
- Russell Lagdon, Chevron Australia Environment Manager VIEW
- Keynote address: World-Class Management – Our Environmental Responsibility and the Barrow Island Quarantine Management System. Johann van der Merwe, Chevron Australia Quarantine Manager
Open Session 2 – Conservation Planning
- Keynote address: Prioritizing conservation management actions on Australian islands: towards an operational model. Bob Pressey Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, James Cook University VIEW
- Costs and effectiveness of actions to conserve threatened birds on Australian islands. Judit Szabo & Stephen Garnett VIEW
- A national islands database and assessment of conservation value. Julie Quinn, Karl Bossard VIEW
- Qualitative risk assessments to inform conservation prioritization in the Torres Strait. Grech, A.G., Coles, R., Marsh, H., Pressey, B. GRECH
- Rehabilitation of tropical rainforest on Christmas Island: Conservation prioritisation, adaptive management, and ecological state. Grigg A.M., Moloney B., Misso M., West J. VIEW (20mb)
- Vulnerability assessment: a decision support tool to prioritize management of turtle rookeries in a changing climate. Mariana Fuentes VIEW (6mb)
Open Session 3 – Eradications
- Keynote address: A Global Campaign to prevent the extinction of island species threatened by invasive vertebrates. Waldman, B., Holmes, N. & Nias, R.C.. Island Conservation
- Eradicating rodents on Lord Howe Island. Ian S. Wilkinson & David Priddel
- Feral goat eradication on Kangaroo Island South Australia. Pip Masters, Nick Markopoulos and Brenton Florance
- Can the construction of interior fences make island eradication more efficient? Bode, M., Brennan, K., Desmond, A., Millar, A., & Helmstedt, K.
- Innovative approaches to achieve weed eradication targets for Lord Howe Island. Bower, H., Bower S., and Pullbrook., S
- The good, the bad and the unknown: alien species management on sub-Antarctic islands. Shaw, J.D, Terauds, A., Scott, J.J, Alderman, R.L. Bergstrom, D.M. & Possingham, H.P.
- Black rat eradication on Barrow and surrounding islands. Morris, K.D.
- Indirect Biocontrol for the Yellow Crazy Ant (Anoplolepis gracilipes) on Christmas Island, Indian Ocean. Peter T.Green, Dennis J. O’Dowd, Gabor Neumann, Sarah E. Wittman
- Advantages and disadvantages of different rat incursion response tools. Murphy, E.C., Brown, K.P. & Giddy, C.
- Impact of invasive species on native invertebrates on islands: Australian examples from subantarctic Macquarie to tropical Sweers Islands. Penelope Greenslade VIEW
Open Session 4 – Conservation Entrepreneurship
- Keynote address:The Atlas of Living Australia. John La Salle
- Wild Mob – A case study in Conservation Entrepreneurship Andrew Elphistone & Bill Sykes
- Ecotourism – a creative approach to weed control on Lord Howe Island. Ian Hutton
- Wildcare’s Role in Island Conservation in Tasmania and Successful Community Engagement in Remote Area Reserves Christian Bell
Open Session 5 – Indigenous Island Management
- Indigenous Protected Areas. Luke Ingram
- Anindilyakwa Experience. Gavin Enever & Elma Yantamnga
- The Ngaro Story. Carol Prior & Marissa Deshong
- Biodiversity Conservation on Groote Eylandt: A unique collaboration between university scientists and Indigenous Rangers. FitzGibbon S.I., van Uitregt V.O., Ellis W., Enever G., Love K. & Wilson, R.S.
Open Session 6 – Perspectives
- Assessing the threats to beach-nesting birds from predicted sea-level rises and strategies for the conservation and management of breeding habitat. Eric J Woehler, Oberon Carter, Felicity Faulkner, Louise Gilfedder, Anni McCuaig, Priscilla Park, Valeria Ruoppolo, Chris Sharples, Lynne Sparrow, Liz Znidersic VIEW
- Island treasures ~ biodiversity assets of the islands along the Kimberley coast of West Australia. Gibson, L.A.
- Koalas on a Queensland Island: developing a new understanding of an Australian Icon. Ellis, W., FitzGibbon, S.I., Wilson, R.S.
- Recovery challenges for the endangered Forty-spotted Pardalote on its island refugia. Bryant, S.L . VIEW
- Aspects of the ecology of the introduced Masked Owl on Lord Howe Island. Milledge, D., Bower, H. and Carlile, N.
- Marine Pests – A Kangaroo Island Perspective. Brock, D., Kinloch, M. & Lahsmar, K.
- Woody encroachment in the Whitsundays, North Queensland – significant changes since the 1940s. Kemp, J.E., Fensham, R.J.
- Maximising scientific value on Barrow Island – a Class A Nature Reserve. Dorian Moro
Open Session 7 – Translocations
- A Barrow load of fauna: translocations from an iconic Western Australian island. Morris, K.D and Thomas, N
- Translocation to islands: how many, how often and for how long. Helmstedt, K.J., Possingham, H.P.
- Bald Island, South Coast Region, Western Australia: a threatened species haven can become a breeding colony. Friend, J.A. and Comer, S.
Site last updated July 18, 2017 @ 9:45 am; This content last updated September 17, 2012 @ 8:53 pm