The Island Arks Symposium III will be held in Hobart, Australia from 11-13 February 2014 with workshop sessions on 14 February.
Click to download the Island Arks Symposium Program (PDF)
Bahá’í Centre, Hobart, Australia.
About the Symposium
The Symposium will be attended by; scientists, managers, decision makers, residents, and custodians. Students are encouraged to attend and there will be a discounted student registration fee. We invite the international community and specifically encourage those from neighbouring areas in Asia, New Zealand and the greater Pacific region. There will be discussion panels, workshops and field trips during the symposia. Abstracts are sought within the following themes.
- Island translocations
- Island restoration and reassembling island ecosystems
- Indigenous island communities and indigenous conservation management
- Island people and communities: entrepreneurship, economic development, conservation capabilities
- Island conservation and protection- includes terrestrial and marine protected areas
- Emerging threats to island conservation and communities
- New innovations and technologies for island research and management
There are several field trip options which will be advertised in the coming weeks. These field trips will be offered to symposia attendees and aim to showcase Tasmania’s truly unique and beautiful island ecosystems.
Please view the field trips page for more details.
The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel (2 mins walk from conference venue) is holding rooms at $176 per night for guests attending the Island Arks Conference. For bookings please contact the Reservations Team on 1800 814 676 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Please quote group code ‘113863’ at the time of making a reservation to access the room block at discounted rates. Credit card details are required at time of booking, standard booking terms apply. This offer is available until 30 days prior to the conference start.
- Quest Trinity House (ph: 1800 334 033)
- Fountainside (ph: 03 6213 2999)
- Hotel Grand Chancellor (ph: 03 6235 4535)
- Montegomery’s Private Hotel and YHA (ph: 03 6231 2660)
- Blue Hills Motel (ph: 03 6223 1777)
- Submission of Abstracts Open 1 June 2013
- Registrations Open 1 July 2013
- Notification of Workshop Sessions 30 September 2013.
- Closure of Abstract Acceptance 14 November 2013
- Notifications to Successful Presenters 21 November 2013.
How to register for Island Arks Symposium III
- Click to download registration form (Word Document): Island Arks Symposium III registration form.doc
- Complete form and save as a Word Document
- Email email@example.com with the subject ‘Island Arks Symposium III RSVP’ and attach the completed registration form
If you have any questions about the registration process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tasmania Organising Committee
- Christian Bell, Wildcare Inc. Tasmania
- Sally Bryant, Tasmanian Land Conservancy
- Sue Robinson, Invasive Species Branch, Dept. Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
- Justine Shaw, Australian Antarctic Division & Environmental Decision Group (UQ)
- Drew Lee, Wildlife Management Branch, Dept. Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
- Derek Ball, Reef Catchments
- Peter Copley, South Australia Department of Water, Environment and Natural Resources
- Keith Morris, Western Australia Department of Environment and Conservation
- Ray Nias, SW Pacific Director, Island Conservation
- Bob Pressey, ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
- David Priddel, NSW Office of Environment and Heritage
- Keith Springer, Tasmanian Parks & Wildlife Service, Dept.